- Have you paid off your debts excluding mortgages?
- Do you have enough cash saved to cover any emergencies?
- Are you putting the maximum into a corporate pension where your employer matches your contributions
- Do you have money to cover any expected events eg deposit on a house
- Do you have at least £2,000 to invest?
The Motley Fool was what got me into finance way back in 1999 as the dot com boom accelerated. Long may it continue (the motley fool that is, obviously the dot com boom finished a while ago).
- Open an execution only cheap online share dealing account (I use www.selftrade.co.uk, www.youinvest.co.uk, www.iii.co.uk and www.interactivebrokers.com; there are many others out there)
My occasional series of posts on what to invest in
The five minute portfolio
A little demonstration of portfolio optimisation
Other posts on investment
Bitcoin, money, gold and my great unpublished novel
Obligatory Brexit Post